Infrastructure management is sometimes divided into categories of systems management, network management, and storage management. Infrastructure management products are available from a number of vendors including Hewlett-Packard,IBM, Lenovo and Microsoft.
Among other purposes, infrastructure management seeks to:
- Reduce duplication of effort
- Ensure adherence to standards
- Enhance the flow of information throughout an information system
- Promote adaptability necessary for a changeable environment
- Ensure interoperability among organizational and external entities
- Maintain effective change management policies and practices
Although all business activities depend upon the infrastructure, planning and projects to ensure its effective management are typically undervalued to the detriment of the organization.
According to Enterprise & Large Organisation, investments in infrastructure management have the largest single impact on an organization’s revenue.